Table of Contents
- How To Play Baccarat
- Betting Options In Baccarat
- Types of Baccarat
- Baccarat Terminology
- Baccarat Tips
- Best Baccarat Casinos
Maybe you’ve seen James Bond playing Baccarat in the movies and you wanted to play too! Or maybe, you wandered over to a baccarat table and wanted to join but didn’t know how. Well, we are here to help you!
Baccarat is a simple and fun-filled casino game that has been around for centuries. After playing it a couple of times, you’ll understand why it’s so popular among casino players. Today, you can take your gameplay anywhere you want, as we have online baccarat games that are as top-notch as those played in land-based casinos.
We’ve created this Beginner’s Guide to Baccarat for everyone wondering how to play this casino game. We’ll take you through every step of the baccarat experience, with information on how to play, betting options, types, strategies, etc.
Baccarat is actually one of the simplest casino games and you won’t have any issues learning how to play it. So, let’s get started!
The rules of playing baccarat online are the same as playing this game in land-based casinos. However, since SlotsWise is a site that covers online gaming, we’ll stick to online baccarat in our guide. But don’t worry, once you learn how to play baccarat online, you’ll know how to play it anywhere!
As we’ve mentioned at the beginning of this guide, the rules of playing baccarat are pretty simple. The aim of online baccarat is to get a hand as close to 9 as possible. This means that the player who has a hand worth 9 or closest to 9 will win.
To start playing baccarat, you have to find a baccarat casino, register, and select your game. Then, you need to place your bet. The game will start once all players have placed their bets. Depending on the type of baccarat, the number of players can vary and reach 14.
The game of baccarat starts with two cards being dealt both to the Player and the Banker. There are three possible outcomes – the Player wins, the Banker wins, or the two are tied. You need to place a bet on which outcome you think will happen.
The score is determined by card values. Each player will end the game with either 2 or 3 cards. The rules for card values are very easy to remember:
- Cards 2-9 carry the same value;
- Cards 10, J, Q, and K are equal to 0;
- Aces are equal to 1;
- Suits are irrelevant;
- If your score goes above 9, the first digit will be dropped;
- A hand worth 8 or 9 is called a natural and it’s an automatic win.
In the end, the player who has a hand closest to 9 is the winner.
So, to sum up, here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to play baccarat:
- Find an online casino where you’ll play;
- Select the baccarat game you want to play;
- Place a bet on the Player, Banker, or Tie;
- Two cards are dealt to the Player and the Banker;
- If the total sum of either hand is 8 or 9, no more cards are dealt;
- If either hand equals 0-5, a third card is dealt;
- The player with a hand closest to 9 is the winner.
As you can see from the section above, there are three betting options in Baccarat - Player, Banker, and Tie.
If you bet on Player, it means that you predict that the Player will have the highest hand.
If you bet on Banker, it means that you predict that the Bank will have the highest hand.
If you bet on Tie, it means that you predict that the result of the next hand will be a tie between the Player’s and Banker’s hands.
So, should you bet player, banker, or tie?
The Banker has higher odds of winning at 45.85%, while the Player has slightly lower odds at 44.62%. On the other hand, a Tie outcome is happening about 9.53% of the time. For that reason, we would say that the Banker is the best bet in the long run.
The Banker is also a great bet because of the house edge. Namely, the Banker has the lowest house edge of all bets, at 1.06%. The house edge on a Player bet is 1.36%, while the Tie bet has a house edge at 14.4%.
Because the Banker’s bet is most attractive among baccarat players, casinos apply a small commission. This means that every time you win by betting on the Banker, the casino will take a small percentage of your win. For this reason, many players choose to bet on the Player instead.
When the player receives two cards, they have two possible actions - to Hit/Draw or Stand. To hit or draw means to request a third card, while to stand means to proceed with the current hand.
If the player has a hand worth 8 or 9, the game ends. If the player has a hand of 6 or 7, they stand. And if the player has a hand worth 5 or less, they hit/draw.
Contrary to the Player’s, the Banker’s hand depends on the Player’s actions.
If the Banker has a hand worth 8 or 9, they will win.
If the Player stands, the Banker hits when they have a hand worth 5 or less. But, if the Banker’s total hand has a higher value, they stand.
When the Player hits, the Banker’s hand and the Player’s third hand will decide the next actions. The Banker will draw a third card in the following situations:
- The Banker has a hand worth 0, 1, or 2;
- The Banker has a hand worth 3 and the Player’s third hand is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 or 0 (not 8);
- The Banker has a hand worth 4 and the Player’s third hand is 2-7;
- The Banker has a hand worth 5 and the Player’s third hand 4-7;
- The Banker has a hand worth 6 and the Player’s third hand 6 or 7;
- If the Banker has a hand worth 7, they always stand.
Today, you’ll find many types of baccarat available at online casinos. Game developers are able to add innovative features and create unique baccarat games. It’s also possible to find branded games, as well as types of baccarat that are unique to just one particular casino.
Still, some of the baccarat games are considered the most popular and most played, both at online and land-based casinos. Here they are:
- Chemin De Fer - the French variant of baccarat. In this game, you play against other players, not against the dealer. You will play with 14 players and are allowed to draw or stand on five. Six decks of cards are used;
- Mini Baccarat - it’s one of the most popular online versions of baccarat as it offers low betting options. This game sees the dealer handling all of the action, so the players don’t have a chance to bank. It features a small table with up to 7 players;
- Baccarat Banque - the European version of baccarat, similar to Chemin De Fer. In this game, the winner will act as the Banker in the next round. It’s played with three decks of cards;
- Punto Banco - this type of baccarat is very similar to Mini Baccarat. It also sees the dealer handing everything while players only place their bets. But, the Punto Banco version can have up to three dealers;
- Three-card Baccarat - a popular type of baccarat at the casinos in Macau. There, one deck of cards is used, and both player and banker get three cards. The highest possible hand is three face cards.
To make things more understandable, we’ve compiled a list of the most common terms used in baccarat games. So, next time you play baccarat and come across some of these terms, you’ll know what they mean!
The name of the game. Also, the worst hand in the game. The word Baccarat itself means zero. So, if you or the Banker have a total of 0, it means Baccarat.
The Spanish word for Bank, Banker, or the House. It also refers to the hand the dealer always bets on.
The total amount of money that a play has put to use in the game.
The act of discarding three to six cards after shuffling and before the start of a new game.
The Dealer, Banker.
A French term that means ‘Hit Me’ and is used for requesting another card from the dealer.
An amount of money that will be taken from your win. It’s usually 5% of your win and it goes out to the casino.
Cut means do divide the deck of cards in half once the cards have been shuffled. Then, the cut deck is combined again.
A card that is facing down.
A category of cards that include Kings, Queens, and Jacks. These are worthless in Baccarat.
A French term for a hand worth 9. In English, it means ‘The big one’.
A French term for a hand worth 8. In English, it means ‘The small one’.
A two-card hand in baccarat that is worth 8 or 9.
A bet that is neither a winning nor a losing one is called a push. The amount is held over for the next round.
The box that holds the decks of cards that are used in the game.
This occurs when the two hands are of equal value.
Betting option in Baccarat. It means that you predict that the result of the next hand will be a tie between the Player’s and Banker’s hands.
A card that is facing up.
Baccarat, like any other casino game including Blackjack, Roulette and Poker, is a game of chance. It means that there is no formula that will help you win. Instead, it all depends on how lucky you are.
No matter if you play baccarat online or in a land-based casino, the cards are randomly dealt and each round results in a different outcome. Still, there are some baccarat tips that will help you get the most out of your gameplay, as well as increase your chances of winning.
Before you play baccarat, make sure to go through the section on how to play this game and understand the rules. Also, find the right type of baccarat for you. Then, feel free to try baccarat in a demo version to get to know the game better. That’s how you can get a feel for the game and see if it’s right for you.
You can find baccarat demo games at a number of different online casinos. By playing baccarat demo, not only can you find out which variation suits you best, but you can also do it without betting any of your own funds!
Baccarat is a game that involves placing real-money bets. For that reason, you must be careful with your gameplay and place smaller bets, in order to be comfortable with the play. You can also set a betting limit and ensure that you have safe gameplay.
And of course, when it comes to baccarat, always choose to play at reliable and trusted online casinos only! Like the ones we recommend here at SlotsWise.
To sum up, here are our ultimate baccarat tips:
- Start with playing baccarat demo;
- Bet on the Banker;
- Don’t bet on a Tie;
- If you play at a land-based casino, look for casinos where the house edge is below 5%;
- Place smaller bets if you want to play longer;
- Set a betting limit;
- Never play with more than what you can afford;
- Play only at reliable and trusted online casinos.
We’ve come to the end of our Beginner’s Guide To Baccarat. Now you can play baccarat like James Bond and have the best gaming experience out there!
We’ve explained how to play baccarat, types of baccarat games, betting options in baccarat, baccarat tips, and more. So now, it’s time for you to play this game yourself.
Check out our featured casinos and register today. When you make your first deposit, there are some incredible treats in store for you. From free spins to deposit bonuses, there really is something for everyone!